Re: Problem with RELENG_5_3, BIND9 and dynamic updates

From: Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie_at_le-hen.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 11:01:26 +0100
> It looks like BIND9, as delivered in the base, has problems when zones
> are using dynamic DNS updates.
>
> This is because it runs as user "bind", but that user doesn't have write
> access to /var/named/etc/namedb/master - the script /etc/rc.d/named uses
> mtree to set that directory as follows:
>
> [log squeezed]

I think this setup must be considered as particular enough to change
your named.conf(5).  You can either change the "directory" statement
in the "options" block if your server is a master-only name server,
or use the "file" statement in the "zone" block if you want to
explicitely separate master zones from slave zones.

Regards,
--
Jeremie Le Hen
jeremie_at_le-hen.org