Re: FreeBSD 6.0 and onwards

From: Samuel Tardieu <sam_at_rfc1149.net>
Date: 06 Nov 2004 13:22:28 +0100

Scott> Second, it means that development efforts for major features
Scott> will continue to shift out of CVS and into Perforce.  This
Scott> already happens quite a bit, so it's not as radical of a change
Scott> as it seems.

Wouldn't it also be a good time to reevaluate the development system?
New free software revision control systems such as GNU Arch are now
mature and could be used precisely for this kind of things.

For those not knowing it, let me introduce GNU Arch by small examples
of what you can do with it:

  - Anyone with read access to a branch can create a new branch (tag a
    branch in GNU Arch vocabulary) on its own system and develop in
    it; this doesn't involve the originating system any more and
    doesn't consume any resource.

  - Merges between branches take in account the whole history of those
    branches and can be done at any point; if a developper wants one
    of its branch to be reviewed by others or merged into the main
    branch, she only has to publish its branch read-only.

  - A developper may base her own work on a branch published by
    another one; this allows development of dependent features even if
    the original feature has not been merged in yet. For example, if
    phk had done his GEOM development in a publicly readable GNU Arch
    branch, anyone could have tested it and develop new GEOM module
    even before it has been merged in the main branch.

  - Anyone could work on fixing bugs in their own branches and then
    request a merge to the main one. Also, even before the bug fixes
    are merged, other developpers can pick them up and integrate them
    in their own branches and test them in different configurations
    (to reuse my previous example, phk would be able to pull candidate
    bug fixes into his GEOM branch and test whether it would break
    something or not).

  - GNU Arch doesn't use a server -- files are published using HTTP,
    FTP, WebDav, SCP, ...

I have used Perforce for a long time before, and I can say that GNU
Arch outperforms it by a huge factor in my opinion. Moreover, there
are no user limits, no accounts to create on a server

I don't intend to open a can of worms, but I think now would be a good
time to start small experiments wrt new RCS software.

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam_at_rfc1149.net -- http://www.rfc1149.net/sam