Re: FreeBSD 6.0 and onwards

From: Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 20:39:07 +1100
On Sat, 2004-Nov-06 13:22:28 +0100, Samuel Tardieu wrote:
>Wouldn't it also be a good time to reevaluate the development system?
>New free software revision control systems such as GNU Arch are now
>mature and could be used precisely for this kind of things.
>
>For those not knowing it, let me introduce GNU Arch by small examples
>of what you can do with it:
[ feature list elided ]

What facilities are there to replicate the repository (ala CVSup or
CTM)?  Publishing the repository is all very nice but doesn't help
someone who wants off-line access.

Can it manage renaming files/directories?
How does it handle 3-way merging?
Does it support merging branches back into the mainline without
duplicating the branch content?

What advantages does it have over CVS and/or Perforce?

How would you like to provide some real results of running GNU Arch
against the FreeBSD CVS repository:
- time to convert the FreeBSD CVS respository into an Arch repository.
- size of the resultant Arch repository.
- time to checkout HEAD src
- time to checkout RELENG_3 src
- amount of metadata associated with the above checkouts
- time to tag "src" or "ports" (eg for a release)
- time to checkin a 1 or 2 line change in one file
- time to checkin a large change (various changes in say 50 files).

--
Peter Jeremy