Re: IRQ-Routing for 5.3-BETA

From: Bruce M Simpson <bms_at_spc.org>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 22:44:03 -0800
On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 09:25:21PM -0800, Nate Lawson wrote:
> I MFC'd the change to RELENG_5 as well so if you can test there or on
> 6-current, you should fine that the card works as before.  The change
> was to allow the SCI (irq 9 on PIC systems) to always be used for
> devices, even if the ACPI _PRS setting for the device doesn't explicitly
> allow it.

Whoah. Thanks for this. I remember discussing with Warner around the time
of 4.5-STABLE that I had problems with interrupt routing on laptops.

So I hope this is not a stupid question...

The specific problem I had was that the OLDCARD code saw that the PCMCIA
device I was trying to plug in did not allow irq 9 to be used as the
function interrupt. The control interrupt of course was irq 9. I hacked
OLDCARD somewhat to allow me to assign the function and control interrupts
separately so I could get my PCMCIA smart card reader to work.

I wonder if it's still possible to do something like this in these days
of ACPI and cardbus, or is it no longer necessary (can I lie about which
IRQ is routed to the pccard/isa device?)

BMS