Re: 5.3-R: /etc/ntp.conf doesn't exist

From: Brooks Davis <brooks_at_one-eyed-alien.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 20:45:47 -0800
On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 12:38:01AM +0100, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 11:44 PM +0100 2004-11-09, Ollivier Robert wrote:
>
> > I just looked at cvsweb.netbsd.org and it seems to be a well documented
> > file
> > so I have no objection at all.
>
> 	Do you mean
> <http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/etc/ntp.conf?rev=1.8&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup>?
>
> 	Actually, I have some problems with this file.  Putting on my
> ntp.org/ntp.isc.org hat, I'd prefer that people recommend something
> that more closely follows the recommendations at
> <http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/SelectingOffsiteNTPServers> (and
> related pages), especially having to do with things like using at
> least four or five upstream time servers as opposed to just three.
>
> 	If these pages need improvement, you're welcome to join the NTP
> TWiki and edit them yourself, or you can give me feedback and I will
> incorporate that into the recommendations.
>
> 	But we're working hard to try to make sure that everyone in the
> NTP community speaks with just one voice.

At a glance these guidelines seem reasionable, but it doesn't appears
that having 4-5 upstreams and having a file that just works are
compatable.  So long as we're not at risk of swamping a server like one
of the AP vendors did, having something that just works is going to
trump following the recommendations exactly.  It's not clear to me that
you can do both at the moment.  IMO, it's really lame to say that you
should use at least 5 servers and then only provide a stable way to
access 3 of them.  If 5 is the recomendation, there should be
3.pool.ntp.org and 4.pool.ntp.org entries.

If you have specific recomendations to fix the file, please make them.
Perhaps ntp.org should provide such a file.

-- Brooks