Re: 5.3-RELEASE: WARNING - WRITE_DMA interrupt timout - what does it mean?

From: Søren Schmidt <sos_at_DeepCore.dk>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:11:33 +0100
Zoltan Frombach wrote:
> I just upgraded to 5.3-RELEASE a few days ago. This morning this line
> got into my system log file:
> Nov  9 06:14:03 www kernel: ad0: WARNING - WRITE_DMA interrupt was seen
> but timeout fired LBA=2491143
>
> I've never seen this message before. Can someone please explain what it
> means? With Thanks,

It means that the disk has processed the write request (interrupt seen),
but that the system (the bio_taskqueue) hasn't been able to get the
result returned to the kernel.

Your disk is not involved in this problem since it has done its part,
but the rest of the system is either busy with something else, or there
are bugs lurking that prohibits the bio_taskqueue from running.

Either way its a WARNING not a FAILURE :)

--

-Søren