Re: acpi problems and "stray irq6"

From: Nate Lawson <nate_at_root.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 11:56:06 -0800
Gordon Bergling wrote:
> I have a new notebook. Its a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A 7640. Hardware,
> if that matters, is an AMD Athlon XP 3000+, SiS (somewhat) Chipset
> and 512MB Ram.
>
> This notebook is running a recent 5-STABLE from a few minutes ago. The
> bios version of the notebook should be the newest. Its dated on
> 09/17/2004.
>
> At first there is a problem regarding the speed managment of the cpu.
> Normally and acpi managed cpu should be controlable of the
> "hw.acpi.cpu.throttle_state" sysctl. This sysctl doesn't exist. Without
> this capability the cpu is all the time running at ~ 800 MHz, which
> makes build world not really fast. ;)
>
> Has anyone an idea how I could enable this feature?

Did it ever have a working throttle feature before?  If not, it's not
likely to support throttling.

Modern systems aren't usually controlled by throttling but with CPU
frequency control.  You should try the powernow driver.

http://poupinou.org/cpufreq/bsd/powernow_k7.tar.gz

> The second problem is that I get these messages short after the boot:
> 'stray irq6' and 'stray irq1'. I had read in the FAQ thats this should't
> be a problem, but based on "vmstat -i" the notebook hasn't an device on
> irq 6. Thats curious I think.

irq 6 is floppy and irq 1 is keyboard.  I see your notebook has an
IOAPIC.  It's likely that the legacy interrupt links aren't being
disabled when the apic is enabled.  John's new PCI irq routing code
should handle this (it's not possible with the current arch for link
devices).  If you don't have any actual problems (i.e. hangs), the extra
interrupts are harmless.

-Nate