Re: acpi problems and "stray irq6"

From: Gordon Bergling <gbergling_at_0xfce3.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:57:21 +0100
Hi Nate,

On Wed Nov 10, 2004 at 11:56AM -0800, Nate Lawson wrote:
> Gordon Bergling wrote:
> >At first there is a problem regarding the speed managment of the cpu.
> >Normally and acpi managed cpu should be controlable of the
> >"hw.acpi.cpu.throttle_state" sysctl. This sysctl doesn't exist. Without
> >this capability the cpu is all the time running at ~ 800 MHz, which
> >makes build world not really fast. ;)
> >
> >Has anyone an idea how I could enable this feature?
>
> Did it ever have a working throttle feature before?  If not, it's not
> likely to support throttling.

It's likely not supporting throttling. I wasn't aware of the powernow
technology.

> Modern systems aren't usually controlled by throttling but with CPU
> frequency control.  You should try the powernow driver.
>
> http://poupinou.org/cpufreq/bsd/powernow_k7.tar.gz

I had tried this driver yesterday, but I got the following error
message:
|Powernow: frequency scaling yes -- voltage scaling yes
|module_regiser_init: MOD_LOAD (powernow_k7, 0xc1f77488, 0) error 22

Any hint on what I can do to solve this?

I just typed make to compile the ko and copied it to /boot/kernel.
Afterwards I kldload it.

> >The second problem is that I get these messages short after the boot:
> >'stray irq6' and 'stray irq1'. I had read in the FAQ thats this should't
> >be a problem, but based on "vmstat -i" the notebook hasn't an device on
> >irq 6. Thats curious I think.
>
> irq 6 is floppy and irq 1 is keyboard.  I see your notebook has an
> IOAPIC.  It's likely that the legacy interrupt links aren't being
> disabled when the apic is enabled.  John's new PCI irq routing code
> should handle this (it's not possible with the current arch for link
> devices).  If you don't have any actual problems (i.e. hangs), the extra
> interrupts are harmless.

Thanks for the good explanation. I haven't had any hangs this time so I
thats these 'warnings' are harmless.

--
Gordon Bergling <GBergling_at_0xfce3.net>	      http://www.0xFCE3.net/
PGP Fingerprint:  7732 9BB1 5013 AE8B E42C  28E0 93B9 D32B C76F 02A0