Re: [TEST] make -j patch [take 2]

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:17:32 +0200
On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 11:24:12AM +0100, Harti Brandt wrote:
> It would actually give me _more_ control over make's behaviour. I could,
> for example, build the tool with -j4, but run the tool with -j2. Suppose
> that is a long running regression test that I don't want to occupy my
> 4 processor machine, but I want the tool for the test to build fast.

Here's the patch that changes the -j behavior the way I want it:

- if a sub-make is given an explicit -jX argument (either on a
command line or through a special .MAKEFLAGS target in makefile),
it will forget about its current job group membership,

- if -jX is given implicitly through the MAKEFLAGS environment
variable then a sub-make will respect MAKE_JOBS_FIFO and will
join the job group.

Of course, like you say, there's always a possibility to unset
MAKE_JOBS_FIFO before launching a sub-make.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov
ru_at_FreeBSD.org