Re: FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE boot failure

From: ALeine <aleine_at_austrosearch.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:04:09 -0800 (PST)
Doug White wrote:

> Hm... we'll need to disassemble the code there, but typically
> these types of crashes are caused by BIOS bugs. Try upgrading
> your BIOS.

When I try to boot directly the machine reboots too quickly for
me to be able to catch the error message. The register dump is
from VMWare trying to boot the said FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE as guest
OS using the mentioned disk in raw disk mode on a friend's
machine. FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE runs just fine that way on his
system. This makes me think it might not be BIOS related.

> What brand/model machine is this?

i386, Athlon XP CPU, Chaintech 7SID (Sis 735 chipset) motherboard
with the latest official BIOS.

> Other things you might try:
>
> . Turn off 'Legacy USB' if you don't have a USB keyboard
> . Disable DMA on IDE disks (Known issue on older compaqs)

I've tried it with USB on and off, it makes no difference.
I'll look into the DMA issue. Thanks for your quick reply.

ALeine
WebMail FREE http://mail.austrosearch.net