Re: usb with fast interrupts

From: John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j_at_resnet.uoregon.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 00:01:55 -0800
Scott Long wrote this message on Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 14:48 -0700:
> M. Warner Losh wrote:
> >Our usb system supports soft interrupts, but we currently don't make
> >productive use of them.  The following makes interrupts fast
> >interrupts and uses taskqueues to queue data to a SWI.
> >
> >Lemme know if it works for you.
>
> Taskqueues aren't good for timing-sensitive operations.  Even though USB
> may not be terribly sensitive, I bet you'll actually see performance
> drops with things like umass with this.  Could you instead just put the
> real handler into a kthread and wake it up, or use a swi?

If you need low latency, I made taskqueue's easier to create:
TASKQUEUE_DEFINE_THREAD(kqueue);

and then use:
                taskqueue_enqueue(taskqueue_kqueue, &kq->kq_task);

of course replace kqueue w/ your own string...  Check the taskqueue(9)
man page for more details.

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579