Re: Detection of HTT

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:57:16 -0500
On Monday 15 November 2004 08:41 pm, Wilkinson, Alex wrote:
> Is it possible to find out whether HTT is turned on in the BIOS without
> having to reboot ? acpidump(8) ?
>
> It's just that I notice that I have a HTT capable CPU:
>
> CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2793.19-MHz 686-class CPU)
>   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf29  Stepping = 9
>
> Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MC
>A,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS, HTT,TM,PBE>
>
> And
>
> options   SMP
>
> compiled into the kernel,
>
> but lack any message in /var/run/dmesg about HTT being enabled.

FAQ (please search the archives in the future).  The 'HTT' bit in the Features
line just means that your processor implements the registers that enumerate
logical processors.  In other words, that feature means that we can ask the
processor how many logical cores it has.  It can claim to only have one core
though.  If it actually has multiple cores then we print the message during
boot that you noticed in the other guy's dmesg.