Re: serious networking (em) performance (ggate and NFS) problem

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:49:14 -0700 (MST)
In message: <!~!UENERkVCMDkAAQACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABgAAAAAAAAA0VcX9IoJqUaXPS8MjT1PdsKAAAAQAAAA/qWWqwitlkyUSHwJEUT+bwEAAAAA_at_telia.com>
            "Daniel Eriksson" <daniel_k_eriksson_at_telia.com> writes:
: Finally, my question. What would you recommend:
: 1) Run with ACPI disabled and debug.mpsafenet=1 and hope that the mix of
: giant-safe and giant-locked (em and ahc) doesn't trigger any bugs. This is
: what I currently do.
: 2) Run with ACPI disabled and debug.mpsafenet=0 and accept lower network
: performance (it is a high-traffic server, so I'm not sure this is a valid
: option).
: 3) Run with ACPI enabled and debug.mpsafenet=1 and accept that em0
: interrupts "leak" to the atapci1+ ithread. This I have done in the past.

I don't know if I'm to a 'recommendation' so much as a 'I'd try your
normal configuration with mpsetfet=0' to see if that makes a
difference in the performance that you see.

Warner