Re: mouse problems

From: Chuck Robey <chuckr_at_chuckr.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:26:16 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Marc Fonvieille wrote:

> Hello Chuck,
>
> I'm not sure I understood your problem.  There is a known issue when
> installing 5.3-R with a USB keyboard, you should look at the errata:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/errata.html
>
> Marc
>
> PS: well there are chances you already read the errata, in that case
> forget my advice.

I had (I have done a good bit of reading by now).  Following the advice in
that errata, about setting the hint, does (did) cause the single forward
movement, change, in my status: now, I see a mouse cursor in the period
between when rc begins executing (after probing is done, when the screen
stops being extra bright), but the moment I hit any key on the keyboard at
all (as in the login) the mouse cursor disappears, and I cannot resurrect
it (tried restarting mouse, tried vidcontrol -m on).

I think what is required is a more complete flushing of all the PS/2
keyboard and mouse drivers, and what I'm asking for is help in performing
that erasure more safely, because I'm likely (without a bit of help) to
misfigure the actions, and end up with neither a usb keyboard/mouse NOR a
PS/2 keyboard/mouse.

I just need someone who has done this to tell me all the steps, if that's
ok.  If you read the mail archives, there are a large contingent of folks
who would be helped by this.

Chuck Robey         | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr_at_chuckr.org   | electronics, communications, and SF/Fantasy.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary (on the wall at my old fraternity,
Signa Phi Nothing).