Re: mouse problems

From: Brooks Davis <brooks_at_one-eyed-alien.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:24:54 -0800
On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 11:26:16AM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
>
> > Hello Chuck,
> >
> > I'm not sure I understood your problem.  There is a known issue when
> > installing 5.3-R with a USB keyboard, you should look at the errata:
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/errata.html
> >
> > Marc
> >
> > PS: well there are chances you already read the errata, in that case
> > forget my advice.
>
> I had (I have done a good bit of reading by now).  Following the advice in
> that errata, about setting the hint, does (did) cause the single forward
> movement, change, in my status: now, I see a mouse cursor in the period
> between when rc begins executing (after probing is done, when the screen
> stops being extra bright), but the moment I hit any key on the keyboard at
> all (as in the login) the mouse cursor disappears, and I cannot resurrect
> it (tried restarting mouse, tried vidcontrol -m on).
>
> I think what is required is a more complete flushing of all the PS/2
> keyboard and mouse drivers, and what I'm asking for is help in performing
> that erasure more safely, because I'm likely (without a bit of help) to
> misfigure the actions, and end up with neither a usb keyboard/mouse NOR a
> PS/2 keyboard/mouse.
>
> I just need someone who has done this to tell me all the steps, if that's
> ok.  If you read the mail archives, there are a large contingent of folks
> who would be helped by this.

There aren't any steps in the general case..  Both my USB mouse and my
PS/2 mouse work fine with two moused's running:

[8:20am] brooks_at_minya (~): ps ax | grep moused
  394  ??  Ss     0:01.09 /usr/sbin/moused -p /dev/ums0 -I /var/run/moused.ums0
  533  ??  Is     0:00.01 /usr/sbin/moused -p /dev/psm0 -t auto

The PS/2 mouse is configured in /etc/rc.conf with the lines:

moused_enable="YES"
moused_flags=""

and the USB mouse is handled by the default entrly in usbd.conf which is
enabled in rc.conf with:

usbd_enable="YES"

-- Brooks