Re: mouse problems

From: Chuck Robey <chuckr_at_chuckr.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 13:14:52 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Chuck Robey wrote:

> > The PS/2 mouse is configured in /etc/rc.conf with the lines:
> >
> > moused_enable="YES"
> > moused_flags=""
> >
> > and the USB mouse is handled by the default entrly in usbd.conf which is
> > enabled in rc.conf with:
> >
> > usbd_enable="YES"
>
> VERY good, thanks for the response, please work with me here.  First, I'm
> working with a brand new amd64 install, so my etc is hopefully (and more
> properly, my rc.conf) up to date, it has a mouse_ports, but not a
> moused_flags at all, so you may be working witha customized etc ... no big
> surprise.  I interpolated, tried your settings, on reboot I have no
> /dev/psm0 device.  I looked at the psm man page, and I dolled up the
> /boot/loader.conf as instructed.  on reboot, kenv reports what I would
> want to see, but still no /dev/psm0 (which is why, I suppose, I have only
> a single moused process running, the usbd.conf inspired one.  That one,
> the mouse cursor still disappears the moment I touch the keyboard..
>
> That info I did, I tried both with and without the atkbdc hint in the mail
> archives.
>
> I notice, btw, that the usb (ums0) gets probed by the kernel well, well
> before rc.conf gets asked about psm0 ... I bet that timing is something
> that, if I could change, might help things.  I would like the psm to get
> started before the usb one.

Bad etiquete to reply to myself, but I had more ideas, and I tried them.
I'm again at an end, but I have this to add: I went in and deleted the
ums0 entry from usbd.conf, so that it won't get attached; if I use the
serial converter so that my keyboard and mouse are serial, then /dev/psm0
does get created; if ums0 is being cteaed first, then /dev/psm0 is
unavailble to the system for some reason, I can't get it created later on.
I need some method to delay the usb processing for the keyboard and mouse
combo UNTIL all of the PS/2 processing is finished.

Obviously, /dev/psm0 and /dev/ums0 get along poorly.

BTW, yes, I tried adding the ums0 back after I had the good (?)
/dev/psm0, again, the mouse cursor disappears the moment I touch the
keyboard.  It flickers to life, and is immediately gone.  I don't
understand abou that, your notion about running two moused processes was
aluring.

Funny point?  for the PS/2 case, rc.conf is NOT making a moused process.
That's not working.  OK, that's something I can investigate.

Again, if anyone thinks they know all of the steps to completely delete
the ps/2 mouse an dkeyboard from the system (leaving me the usb ones) let
me know, I'll try anything that looks like a complete task list.

Chuck Robey         | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr_at_chuckr.org   | electronics, communications, and SF/Fantasy.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary (on the wall at my old fraternity,
Signa Phi Nothing).