Re: Random panics with 5.3-REL, SMP

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 23:24:43 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Hogan Whittall wrote:

> Dell PE6450 server, 4xP3-700 Xeon, 4gb ram, system disks reside on
> a 2 disk RAID1 attached to a MegaRAID controller.  Wireless is a
> D-Link DWL-G520-B, also has Intel Pro/100 ethernet.

For the record, I have a PE6300 (4x500MHz) I'm testing a fix for panics of
the form

panic: Previous IPI is stuck

if thats one of the "random panics" you're seeing.  The thread "number of
CPUs and IPI panic" in -current has details, and a temporary patch is
available from

http://people.freebsd.org/~ups/ipi4_patch

I believe this patch will apply to both RELENG_5 and -CURRENT, for now.

I was having a problem with random resets (no panic, just reset) and
traced it to a broken cpu0.  Replacing it made the resets go away.

If you have room you may want to install RedHat or Windows on another
partition, load up the OpenManage tools, and inspect the system event log
for anything peculiar.  If you've never run this before then you may need
to clear the event log for it to log any new events. If you have a DRAC
card in the machine you can use that too.