GEOM: gpt partitions on a gmirror array possible?

From: Chris Hedley <cbh-freebsd-current_at_groups.chrishedley.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 19:58:35 +0000 (GMT)
Hi all,

A hopefully quick question!  I have looked for a solution for (or
discussion about) this, if I've just failed to find it, please point me in
the right direction.

This is what I'm trying to do: I've created a RAID-1 array, m1, using
gmirror on two scsi units, da0 and da1, and I'd like to chop it up into
logical partitions using gpt, as I understand (correctly, hopefully) there
are leanings toward gpt rather than bsdlabel as being the correct way to
do things.  Now when I initialise and create my gpt partition on
mirror/m1, I get no new entries in /dev/mirror but I _do_ get separate
/dev/da0p1 and /dev/da1p1 entries appearing.  I've probably completely
failed to understand the whole concept of GEOM tasting and unprejudiced
hierarchy and so on as I decided I may as well try to create my UFS2
filesystem on /dev/da0p1 in /dev/mirror/m1p1's absence and see if
/dev/da1p1 magically follows suit.  Needless to say it doesn't, I just end
up with a dirty RAID-1 disc that needs resynchronising, with da0p1
(un)mysteriously disappearing after the newfs.

Is there a correct way to do this, or am I once again guilty of trying to
use something that isn't quite ready yet?  Perhaps I should do it the
other way around and use gpt first and create one gmirror per partition;
that solution didn't "feel" right for some reason, but I can't really
quantify that particularly as, if I understand the GEOM documentation
correctly, multiple gmirrors with their respective paritions on the same
set of discs shouldn't compete with each for access.

My system is FreeBSD/amd64, 6.0-current (Oct 25th vintage) using ahc for
my test scsi discs and aac for my active discs.

Cheers,

Chris.