Re: GEOM: gpt partitions on a gmirror array possible?

From: Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:38:25 +0100
On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 07:58:35PM +0000, Chris Hedley wrote:
+> Hi all,
+>
+> A hopefully quick question!  I have looked for a solution for (or
+> discussion about) this, if I've just failed to find it, please point me in
+> the right direction.
+>
+> This is what I'm trying to do: I've created a RAID-1 array, m1, using
+> gmirror on two scsi units, da0 and da1, and I'd like to chop it up into
+> logical partitions using gpt, as I understand (correctly, hopefully) there
+> are leanings toward gpt rather than bsdlabel as being the correct way to
+> do things.  Now when I initialise and create my gpt partition on
+> mirror/m1, I get no new entries in /dev/mirror but I _do_ get separate
+> /dev/da0p1 and /dev/da1p1 entries appearing.  I've probably completely
+> failed to understand the whole concept of GEOM tasting and unprejudiced
+> hierarchy and so on as I decided I may as well try to create my UFS2
+> filesystem on /dev/da0p1 in /dev/mirror/m1p1's absence and see if
+> /dev/da1p1 magically follows suit.  Needless to say it doesn't, I just end
+> up with a dirty RAID-1 disc that needs resynchronising, with da0p1
+> (un)mysteriously disappearing after the newfs.
+>
+> Is there a correct way to do this, or am I once again guilty of trying to
+> use something that isn't quite ready yet?  Perhaps I should do it the
+> other way around and use gpt first and create one gmirror per partition;
+> that solution didn't "feel" right for some reason, but I can't really
+> quantify that particularly as, if I understand the GEOM documentation
+> correctly, multiple gmirrors with their respective paritions on the same
+> set of discs shouldn't compete with each for access.
+>
+> My system is FreeBSD/amd64, 6.0-current (Oct 25th vintage) using ahc for
+> my test scsi discs and aac for my active discs.

It is because GEOM_GPT class only allow to create GPT labels on rank#1
providers (i.e. disks). I'm not sure why we have this hack, maybe marcel_at_
knows something more (cc'ed).

--
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.FreeBSD.org
pjd_at_FreeBSD.org                           http://garage.freebsd.pl