Re: ssh & select() problem on 5.3

From: Claudiu Dragalia-Paraipan <dr.clau_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:19:43 +0200
Andre Oppermann wrote:
> Peter Jeremy wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2004-Nov-28 18:43:47 +0200, Claudiu Dragalia-Paraipan wrote:
>>
>>> Since the problem occurs only when I connect to the firewall or to a
>>> server behind it, I started to suspect a hardware failure. Could a
>>> network card cause such problems ?
>>

>> A couple of people have mentioned path-MTU problems.  I've also bumped
>> into this problem when playing with VLANs where one end of the VLAN
>> trunk doesn't support long frames - an oversize packet will get ignored
>> by the receiver without any error being returned.
>

> If the oversized ethernet frame makes it to the FreeBSD box it will drop
> the frame in the ethernet hardware or in ether_input() with a message. If
> you don't get a message on the console you have to look at the driver
> statistics if it got any oversized frames.
>
> If the switches along the patch can't handle the oversized frame they will
> simply drop it.  No way to work around that.

When the MTU is set to a value below 1500, for example 1450, I get this
messages:

Nov 29 23:02:34 firewall kernel: rl0: discard oversize frame (ether type
800 flags 3 len 1466 > max 1464)
Nov 29 23:03:00 firewall kernel: rl0: discard oversize frame (ether type
800 flags 3 len 1514 > max 1464)

... and much many of them.
With MTU 1500 I didn't notice any such message in logs.
So, can I safely assume that the problem occurs because somewhere
packets are simply dropped, without any warning ?

--
Claudiu Dragalina-Paraipan
dr.clau_at_gmail.com