RE: Got rid of my SiI3112A

From: Daniel Eriksson <daniel_k_eriksson_at_telia.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:40:41 +0100
Frode Nordahl wrote:

> But as things are today, I think it would be best to remove
> support for
> SiI3112A. Especially since the general attitude towards it is
> "it's too
> broke, we don't want to waste any more time on it".
>
> Attempting to use it in a 5.3-RELEASE or 6-CURRENT system will most
> likelly make your system crash and burn, and make your data
> unrecoverable beyond repair.

I will have to agree with Frode on this one. I recently put -CURRENT on a
machine with an ASUS mobo that had a SiL 3112 controller. Hooking up two
250GB WD discs to it quickly resulted in timeouts, followed by some strange
messages from geom_stripe (used it to stripe the two discs), followed by
filesystem corruption and panics.

I tried all the "normal" things, such as running with/without ACPI & APIC,
moving other PCI cards around to ensure it wasn't a ithread sharing problem,
removing PREEMPTION from the kernel, ...

To me it looks like SiL 3112 support is bad enough that it could hurt
FreeBSD's reputation. At the very least there should be some warnings in
places you cannot miss that it might fry your data.

(I was expecting problems, so I really didn't loose anything important.)

/Daniel Eriksson