Re: ALTQ/pf troubles

From: Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 09:28:43 -0400
On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 10:40:00PM +0200, Alexander S. Usov wrote:
> Hello !!
>
> As a happy owner of the 1120/352Kbit ADSL line and 5.3-BETA6
> I have tried to configure altq as it's described in
> /usr/share/examples/pf/ackpri and have hit quite a number of
> strange issues with ALTQ.
>
> So, the system is:
> FreeBSD kvip55.lan 5.3-BETA6 FreeBSD 5.3-BETA6 #0: Mon Sep 27 18:40:51 CEST
> pf.conf & kernel configs are attached to the mail.
>
> Just enabling the queueing on the interface with bandwidth == DSL bandwidth
> results in the appox. factor of 2 drop in the speed of the outgoing transfers.
> >From my experiments I got an impression that to make this slow-down
> away I have to specify the bandwith around 700Kb, which is twice bigger than
> real.

Are you telling ALTQ to process _incoming_ packets?

I'm having no problems with ALTQ, using these IPFW rules, for comparison:
#  We're not classifying this packet if it's not going out dc0.
add 30000 allow all from any to any not xmit dc0
#  NAT'd egress traffic:
add 40000 allow altq natted ip from any to any diverted-output
#  locally-generated egress traffic:
#   Interactive SSH.
add 51000 allow altq ssh_interactive tcp from any 22 to any iptos lowdelay
add 51500 allow altq ssh_interactive tcp from any to any 22 iptos lowdelay
#   TCP ack w/o data, TCP setup, IPTOS_LOWDELAY, DNS
add 52000 allow altq local_fast ip from any to any iptos lowdelay
add 52100 allow altq local_fast tcp from any to any setup
add 52200 allow altq local_fast ip from any to any tcpflags ack tcpdatalen 0
add 52300 allow altq local_fast udp from any to any 53
#   Non-interactive SSH.
add 53000 allow altq other_ssh tcp from any 22 to any
add 53500 allow altq other_ssh tcp from any to any 22
#   default:
add 59000 allow altq local_default ip from any to any

  <> green_at_FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \