ALTQ/pf troubles

From: Alexander S. Usov <A.S.Usov_at_KVI.nl>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 22:40:00 +0200
Hello !!

As a happy owner of the 1120/352Kbit ADSL line and 5.3-BETA6
I have tried to configure altq as it's described in
/usr/share/examples/pf/ackpri and have hit quite a number of
strange issues with ALTQ.

So, the system is:
FreeBSD kvip55.lan 5.3-BETA6 FreeBSD 5.3-BETA6 #0: Mon Sep 27 18:40:51 CEST
pf.conf & kernel configs are attached to the mail.

Just enabling the queueing on the interface with bandwidth == DSL bandwidth
results in the appox. factor of 2 drop in the speed of the outgoing transfers.
>From my experiments I got an impression that to make this slow-down
away I have to specify the bandwith around 700Kb, which is twice bigger than
real.

Also I found it almoust impossible to reproduce the expected effect of the
ASC prioritization. Below is the table of the measured transfer speeds (shown
by scp after 1-2 minutes of transfer).
1-way corresponds to the copying to/from host, and 2-way is both downloads
running simultaneously.
Speeds are DOWN/UP:
no altq:
 1-way: 115/35