Re: atheros frecuencies limited

From: Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen_at_ispro.net.tr>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 14:36:48 -0700
M. Warner Losh wrote:

> In message: <4161C4D8.4040308_at_ispro.net.tr>
>             Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen_at_ispro.net.tr> writes:
> : M. Warner Losh wrote:
> :
> : > In message: <41606B0D.3070303_at_ThePacific.Net>
> : >             "Marcos Biscaysaqu - ThePacific.net" <marcos_at_ThePacific.Net> writes:
> : > :     We are legally abaible to run 14 channels on 2.4Ghz, but the Atheros
> : > : driver on freebsd permit use only 11, I being trying to change the setup
> : > : with the sysctl otions, nothing work.  Same  wireless card on diferent
> : > : OS with diferent driver I can get all the channel.
> : > : any ideas?
> : >
> : > Did you buy the wireless card in a regulatory domain that only allows
> : > 11 channels?  The atheros cards have the reg dom burned into their
> : > flash.
> : >
> : > Warner
> :
> :
> : That cant be the cause of this problem since Marcos already told that he
> : can get all the channels by using the same wireless card but a different OS.
>
> Maybe the other OS is overriding the regulatory domain programmed into
> the card?
>
> Warner

For one thing, why shouldnt FreeBSD able to do that?
The other thing is that I thought atheros doesnt have firmware and the
driver handles the regulatory domain settings. Thats why atheros is not
giving out the source code for their drivers (I think there was such
problem)

Anyhow. I am not a pro in this so I better shut up :) But it is possible
to enable all the channels etc. available in atheros chip from the
driver. At least StarOS is able to do it so...

Evren