Re: PPP/su startup error

From: Andrew Wiles <adw_at_jara23.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 17:17:14 +0100
Andrew Wiles wrote:
> Since just prior to the new pfil hooks commit and with 5.3-BETA7 I now
> get the following error on boot:
>
> Starting ppp as "root"
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1:
> Shared object "libintl.so.6" not found, required by "su"
>
> The shared library exists in /usr/local/lib but isn't being found.
> As to why su or ppp would need that lib at boot time also confuses me as
> it is now part of the base system.
>
> Running either su or ppp after the system is up works fine.
>
> Any help with this problem would be appreciated.
>
> Andrew D Wiles.

Okay I found the problem after working on a hunch.
It transpires that bash-3 links against gettext and others unlike bash-2
which I was previously using as the root shell, switching back to bash-2
fixed the problem straight away.
Thanks to all for all the hints and clues.

Andrew D Wiles
--
This e-mail has been scanned by asgard.jara23.co.uk with ClamAV for known viruses.
For more infomration on ClamAV see http://www.clamav.net/

asgard.jara23.co.uk - Building the future on the ashes of the past.