Re: atheros frecuencies limited

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_errno.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 09:53:58 -0700
On Tuesday 05 October 2004 09:08 am, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <416313F0.2000508_at_ispro.net.tr>
>
>             Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen_at_ispro.net.tr> writes:
> : For one thing, why shouldnt FreeBSD able to do that?
>
> Because the HAL layer is a binary glob.
>
> : The other thing is that I thought atheros doesnt have firmware and the
> : driver handles the regulatory domain settings. Thats why atheros is not
> : giving out the source code for their drivers (I think there was such
> : problem)
>
> The driver handles the regulatory domain, but it always uses what is
> in the falsh on the part.
>
> : Anyhow. I am not a pro in this so I better shut up :) But it is possible
> : to enable all the channels etc. available in atheros chip from the
> : driver. At least StarOS is able to do it so...
>
> I'm hoping that ath driver author would reply.

And I was hoping the "ath driver author" could stay out of this topic because
it has been discussed repeatedly.

The issue is that the ath driver supports ap operation.  As such you are not
permitted to change the regulatory domain from what is set in the eeprom to
insure compliance with local regulatory agencies.  Drivers that let you set
the regulatory domain--that I know about--support only station operation so
this is not an issue (e.g. you are not normally broadcasting beacons).  I
have considered ways to support ap and non-ap operation in a single driver
and still allow the regulatory domain to be changed but haven't implemented
them.

	Sam