Re: Weird errors with gtar on 5.3-BETA7

From: Kirk Strauser <kirk_at_strauser.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 09:55:37 -0500
On Wednesday 06 October 2004 18:23, Christopher Nehren wrote:

> It means that you're trying to archive a file system which isn't
> actually a file system -- in this case, /proc. You can use gtar's -X
> option to exclude /proc and other non-file system paths from your
> archiving.

But shouldn't the "--one-file-system" option stop it from attempting to
recurse into a mountpoint in the first place?  bsdtar seems to handle that
situation as expected:

   # gtar --one-file-system -cf /dev/null /
   gtar: Removing leading `/' from member names
   gtar: /proc: Cannot savedir: Invalid argument
   gtar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

   # tar --one-file-system -cf /dev/null /
   tar: Removing leading '/' from member names

> You don't happen to be using procfs on a 5.x system, do you? procfs is
> notoriously insecure (and, in my opinion, its very functionality is
> insecure -- you shouldn't be able to see anything about anyone else's
> processes. Period.). If you are using it, why do you need it?

My "jailadmin" program uses /proc to get information about running
processes.  I haven't reworked that functionality yet.
--
Kirk Strauser