Re: atheros frecuencies limited

From: Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen_at_ispro.net.tr>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 17:50:39 +0300
Marcos Biscaysaqu - ThePacific.net wrote:
> Evren Yurtesen wrote:
>

>> Sam Leffler wrote:

>>> And I was hoping the "ath driver author" could stay out of this topic
>>> because it has been discussed repeatedly.
>>>
>>> The issue is that the ath driver supports ap operation.  As such you
>>> are not permitted to change the regulatory domain from what is set in
>>> the eeprom to insure compliance with local regulatory agencies.
>>> Drivers that let you set the regulatory domain--that I know
>>> about--support only station operation so this is not an issue (e.g.
>>> you are not normally broadcasting beacons).  I have considered ways
>>> to support ap and non-ap operation in a single driver and still allow
>>> the regulatory domain to be changed but haven't implemented them.
>>>
>>>     Sam
>>

>> That can't be true. There is at least StarOS product which can work as
>> an AP and can support every channel. Even the ones which is not in any
>> regulatory domain (I think?!)
>>
>> Actually as a matter of fact I have few Senao APs which has Atheros
>> minipci cards inside and they also allow regulatory domain setting so
>> that some channels become activated and some are disabled etc.
>> depending on the domain you choose.
>>
>> http://www.staros.com/downloads.php
>> ------------
>> New: Special country code '##' can be used to unlock all channels
>> supported by the Atheros hardware (2312-2732, 4920-6100). It is up to
>> the end user to ensure they stay within their region's regulatory
>> channel ranges.
>> ------------
>>
>> Evren
>>

> You right, another OS is Mikrotik which is linux base, support all the
> frecuencies

Actually I was gonna write about MikroTik but thats not true. I also use
MikroTik and it doesnt support all the frequencies. It doesnt even have
country selection. I think StarOS is able to unlock the cards somehow.
But MikroTik shows only the frequencies that the card can support. For
example in MikroTik, I am not able to use channel 14 of 802.11b but in
StarOS its visible with the same card. I never tried if it works though.

Evren