Re: build/install RELENG_5 from a 4.10 system

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 10:11:16 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 06:57:33PM -0700, Doug White wrote:
> > There are also instructions for doing remote installs (i.e., installworld
> > over NFS) at the bottom of UPDATING.
> >
> Where's that?  (We don't support remote installs, build machine
> should equal install machine in most cases.)

Its not explicitly listed, but the section titled "To cross-install
current onto a separate partition" can be abused to good effect.

The other option is to mount /usr/src and /usr/obj from your build system
onto the target and run the installworld from there. I suspect you're
about to point out that certain dependencies may not have been built
correctly if the target is much older than the source, so YMMV.