RE: mergemaster just screwed me

From: Doug Barton <DougB_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 16:22:01 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Sean McNeil wrote:

> [...]

Mergemaster doesn't do anything of the sort. It never takes action on
any file or directory on the system unless the user tells it to.

When you say "it was all placed properly," what do you mean by that?

>> I don't mean to be an ass, but you *need to read UPDATING* when you
>> upgrade CURRENT. The 20040928 entry detailed the steps required for a
>> smooth transition from bind8 to bind9.
>
> I don't take your comment as anything but informative.  In my case,
> however, I *DID* read UPDATING and I followed it completely.  My system
> was completely working with bind9 and then I did a mergemaster and it
> wiped out all my settings!!!!

The good news is that if you actually followed the instructions in
UPDATING you should have a copy of your old settings in /etc/namedb.bak.
And of course, the mergemaster man page counsels you to make good
backups before running it.

In order to debug this we'll need more information:

1. How do you usually invoke mergemaster?
2. Do you have a .mergemasterrc file?
3. Do you run a MM_PRE_COMPARE_SCRIPT?
4. Do you have any *_BIND_* options in /etc/make.conf?
5. Output of 'ls -la /etc/namedb /var/named/etc/namedb'

Hope this helps,

Doug