RE: mergemaster just screwed me

From: Sean McNeil <sean_at_mcneil.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 16:34:38 -0700
On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 16:22, Doug Barton wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Sean McNeil wrote:

> Mergemaster doesn't do anything of the sort. It never takes action on
> any file or directory on the system unless the user tells it to.

Doesn't do it on purpose ;)

> When you say "it was all placed properly," what do you mean by that?

Everything according to UPDATING.  I've had bind9 working for a good
deal of time.  Close to immediately after it was put in current.

> >> I don't mean to be an ass, but you *need to read UPDATING* when you
> >> upgrade CURRENT. The 20040928 entry detailed the steps required for a
> >> smooth transition from bind8 to bind9.
> >
> > I don't take your comment as anything but informative.  In my case,
> > however, I *DID* read UPDATING and I followed it completely.  My system
> > was completely working with bind9 and then I did a mergemaster and it
> > wiped out all my settings!!!!
>
> The good news is that if you actually followed the instructions in
> UPDATING you should have a copy of your old settings in /etc/namedb.bak.
> And of course, the mergemaster man page counsels you to make good
> backups before running it.

Yes, I was fortunate to have things backed up.

> In order to debug this we'll need more information:
>
> 1. How do you usually invoke mergemaster?
> 2. Do you have a .mergemasterrc file?
> 3. Do you run a MM_PRE_COMPARE_SCRIPT?
> 4. Do you have any *_BIND_* options in /etc/make.conf?
> 5. Output of 'ls -la /etc/namedb /var/named/etc/namedb'

1. I invoke by simply typing mergemaster.
2. yes, the contents are:

MM_PRE_COMPARE_SCRIPT=/usr/local/bin/mergemaster_precompare

3. The contents of /usr/local/bin/mergemaster_precompare are...

#!/bin/sh

# NOTE: No PATH needed, because mm's PATH is already draconian enough

case "${PRE_WORLD}" in
'')
        rm -f ${TEMPROOT}/etc/motd
        rm -f ${TEMPROOT}/etc/hosts ${TEMPROOT}/etc/hosts.allow
        rm -f ${TEMPROOT}/etc/mail/mailer.conf
        rm -f ${TEMPROOT}/etc/ssl/openssl.cnf
        rm -f ${TEMPROOT}/etc/namedb/PROTO.*
${TEMPROOT}/etc/namedb/named.* \
              ${TEMPROOT}/etc/namedb/make-localhost
        ;;
esac

ARGH!!!!! That must be it.  Deleting them in TEMPROOT causes them to go
away in /var/named?

Thanks for the insight.  Now, is what I did here wrong or is this an
issue with the way things are moved around?

Cheers,
Sean