Re: beta7 experience

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 10:21:26 -0600
Martin Faxer wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I recently installed beta7 on my box and I experienced a few problems:
>
> snd_emu10k1
> -----------
> To build the snd_emu10k1 sound driver, one needs to add:
>
> 	device "snd_emu10k1"
>
> to the kernel config file. Simply:
>
> 	device snd_emu10k1
>
> will cause config to complain about a syntax error (presumably because
> it thinks the 1 at the end is a device number).
>
> This is not mentioned anywhere in the snd_emu10k1 man page and the
> example provided shows 'device snd_emu10k1', which won't work.
>
> At the very least, the man page needs to be updated to reflect this.
> (I could provide a diff for this but I guess the overhead of applying a
> patch will be greater than just making the change directly in this
> case.)
>
> In the future, perhaps the driver should be renamed or the device
> numbering scheme redesigned in some way? It feels a bit dirty having to
> put "" around the driver name :)
>
> Somebody else posted a message complaining about this a couple of days
> ago but didn't recieve much attention... I would guess that everything
> I just wrote holds true for snd_ad1816, snd_als4000, snd_cs4281, snd_ds1
> and snd_maestro3 too.

6-CURRENT has this mess completely fixed, but it's unlikely that it
will get fixed in 5.x.  I'll look at the manual pages and NOTES files
to make sure that they are correct for 5.x.

> cvsup example files
> -------------------
> minor thing: the stable-supfile example found in
> /usr/share/examples/cvsup still lists 4.x as stable. Perhaps this should
> be updated before the release is made? :)

Updating this is on the release engineering TODO list.

> X.org
> -----
> When running xorgconfig, I am not allowed to choose my keyboard mapping,
> because of the following error:
>
> XKB rules file '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/rules/' not found
> Keyboard XKB options will be set to default values.
>
> I am not sure if anybody's reported this before me, but at least I
> haven't seen any messages about it.
>
> Also, it seems Option ZAxisMapping "4 5" isn't standard... Perhaps
> making it standard should be considered, or is there any compelling
> reason not to? I guess most people nowadays have a wheel mouse.

xorgconfig seems to be unloved.  Most people just run 'X -configure'
and then doctor up the generated config file by hand.  This certainly
doesn't justify the problem, and FreeBSD indeed lacks the nice
integration with X that many Linux distributions have.

[discussion about libtool problems]
I'm sure that the portmgr_at_ team would be very interested to hear about
this.  Maybe you just happened to catch a transient bug in one of the
packages that you installed.

Scott