RE: re0 failures at 1Gb vs. 100Mb

From: Daniel Eriksson <daniel_k_eriksson_at_telia.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 22:09:22 +0200
Sean McNeil wrote:

> I have a strange problem that I have with my network that is
> related to the output rate of my re0.

I have a similar problem, but I haven't reported it before because I wasn't
sure it was the fault of the NIC.

No matter what I do, single connection output rate (TCP) from the RealTek is
erratic and the average is well below expectations when it operates at
1Gbit. If I force it to 100Mbit (either through ifconfig, or by placing a
cheap 100Mbit switch in between it and GigE switch) the average speed goes
up quite a bit due to a much more stable and consistently high single
connection throughput.

I have not done much testing of this, but I thought it would be useful to
know that others are having issues too.

/Daniel Eriksson