Partially solved: iPod Mini and FreeBSD 5.2.1 or 5.3-Beta?

From: Mattias Schlenker <mattias_at_schlenker-webdesign.de>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:40:08 +0200
Mattias Schlenker wrote:

> Is there anyone out there who managed to mount the iPod Mini on
> FreeBSD 5.2.1/5.3?
>
> I formatted the iPod as FAT32 with the supplied tools for Windows.
> When plugging in the iPod, it is just recognized as mass storage
> device (umassX), but no disks are created (umass0 shows up, but da0
> does not) -- no matter if I plug the iPod into a USB hub or directly
> into a usb port on the back panel.
>
> The USB controller is a (cheap) SIS:
>
> usb0: OHCI version 1.0, legacy support
> usb0: <SiS 5571 USB controller> on ohci0
> usb0: USB revision 1.0
> uhub0: SiS OHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
> uhub0: 3 ports with 3 removable, self powered

I found another box with firewire where the iPod mini seems to work
flawlessly. Since I also ran into some (lighter) USB trouble with
Windows and the iPod I assume that the iPod mini (or its combined USB/FW
chip) is responsible for the trouble. Googling shows that people using
Linux suffer from the same problem, so I do not think that it makes
sense to work around broken hardware and suggest using firewire instead
of USB.

Thanks anyone for helping and guessing,
Mattias

--
 Mattias Schlenker  / Tel 0851 9441369 oder 0160 7352988
 Freyunger Str. 42 / http://ilw.schlenker-webdesign.de/