Re: panic in ffs (Re: hangs in nbufkv)

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon_at_apollo.backplane.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:18:16 -0700 (PDT)
:[...]
:
:>    But to be absolutely safe, I would follow Bruce's original suggestion
:>    and increase BKVASIZE to 64K, for your particular system.
:>
:>
:After doing this and testing our backup script, the machine panicked two
:hours later (about half-way through the backup) with
:"initiate_write_inodeblock_ufs2: already started" (in
:ufs/ffs/ffs_softdep.c)... I guess, block sizes above 16Kb are just buggy
:and newfs(8) should be honest about it...
:
:    -mi

    Well, it's possible that UFS has bugs related to large block sizes.
    People have gotten bitten on and off over the years but usually it
    works ok if you leave the 8:1 blocksize:fragsize ratio intact.  e.g.
    if you have a 64KB block size then you should use a 8K frag size.
    If you have a 32KB block size then you should use a 4K frag size.

    I think the buffer cache itself is is likely not the source of this
    particular bug.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon_at_backplane.com>