Re: Geom Vinum backwards compatible?

From: <mjraiha_at_fade.pp.fi>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:10:03 +0300
Hi,

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 05:18:20PM +0200, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 06:10:41PM +0300, Marko Raiha wrote:
> > >
> > > That should work with geom_vinum as well, although I haven't tried yet.
> >
> > Is it possible to grow vinumized BSD partition only from the end or also
> > from the beginning?
>
> Seeing as vinum stores it's configuration data at the start of the
> vinum drive, I think it's not likely to work. You might get away with
> moving the data with dd, if you set your blocksize to sector size (or
> at least to a divisor of the spare space you allocate at the front). I
> wouldn't want to test this without good backups though, and at that
> point it might be easier to just recreate your vinum stuff from
> scratch and restoring anyway.

> > > That's the way to go, but just make sure you have only one vinum
> > > drive per disk.
> >
> > I have more than one vinum drive per disk and thats why I'm asking about
> > growing vinumized partition to get rid of other than one of them before
> > upgrading from 5.2.1 to 5.3.
>
> Why is more than 1 vinum drive per disk not good?

I don't know details but I remember to have read about troubles with
gvinum and many vinum drives per disk. Tried to find some threads of it
but found only this:

    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=2027518+2030746+/usr/local/www/db/text/2004/freebsd-current/20040829.freebsd-current

Maybe Lukas Ertl knows more about this? Cause recommends to use only one
vinum drive per disk.

Regards,
                |  Marko Räihä                                 |
                |  Helsinki,   GSM    +358505515192            |
                |  Finland     Email  marko.raiha_at_helsinki.fi  |