Re: network slowness/freez-up since update 10/11

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:45:02 -0400
At 1:17 PM -0500 10/14/04, Mark Linimon wrote:
>On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Robert Huff wrote:
>
>>	Speaking only for myself:
>  >	As someone who started tracking -CURRENT several months
>  > after the release of 5.0, and who has the proven ability to
>  > screw things up in ways unrelated to the actual code  >:-(
>  >... filing a PR is (barring lack of sleep, low blood sugar,
>  > and/or "one of those days") the last resort not the first.
>
>(wearing bugmeister hat)
>
>I think the answer is "it depends".  Certainly for build errors,
>my understanding is that they shouldn't be PRs, under the theory
>that someone will catch and fix them more quickly than the PR
>database will catch up.
>
>But my assumption is that for pretty much everything else that
>the PR database is the way to go.  No?

I think he's just saying that he doesn't like to file a PR until
he's reasonably sure the problem is not some mistake on his side
of things.

Certainly I have had several times where I run into that.  I start
to write up a long and detailed PR for some problem, but in the
process of gathering all the details I realize, "Oh, wait, this
problem is because of those files I deleted last weekend, so I am
picking up the wrong version of <someCommand>"...

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org