Re: error while doing installworld

From: Ryan Sommers <ryans_at_gamersimpact.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 14:46:27 -0600 (MDT)
Please include the list in all replies.

Warren Liddell said:
>> I suspect, from your earlier message, that your build environment,
>> although non-standard isn't setup quite right. Are you mounting the
>> /usr/src and /usr/ports over NFS? Where are you mounting them? What
>> command are you using to build world?
>>
>> I frequently build with an NFS mounted /usr/src and /usr/ports. From
>> your
>> which
>> although might not be a problem, it might if your object directory is
>> different and you aren't using it in all the commands.
>>
>> If the machine is too small to hold the src and ports trees, is it large
>> enough to hold /usr/obj?
>>
>> I would suggest the following. On your 'big' host, export a directory to
>> use as /usr/ports, another as /usr/src, and if needed another as
>> /usr/obj.
>> On the 'small' host, NFS mount those directories to /usr/src, /usr/ports
>> and /usr/obj. Then you can build and install just as if they weren't NFS
>> mounted, which makes it somewhat easier to not forget to set make
>> variables. When you reboot though, you won't be able to do the
>> 'installworld' from single user unless you bring up your networking
>> components and NFS mounts first.
>
> The small dive unable to hold a ports & src is able to hold its own
> /usr/obj
> dir which it has in /usr/obj
>
> The "Big" machine has the ports an src setup exactly like the "small"
> machine
> does so when mounting it over nfs i have the option to do the buildworld
> on
> the "Big" machine then do the installworld on the "small" machine.
>
> My Big machine is somewhat setup in a similar way running 4.10-STABLE i
> remotely mount the ports an src dir's and do the neccessary updates 1 a
> week
> and it hasnt given me any hassles.

Correct me if I'm wrong, you are doing a 'make buildworld' on the "big"
machine and then mounting /usr/src and /usr/ports on the "small" machine
and then trying to do a 'make installworld' on the "small" machine.

If this is correct therein lies the problem you are running into. When you
do a 'buildworld' everything that is built is stored under /usr/obj,
nothing in /usr/src changes. When you are mounting your /usr/src on the
"small" machine you aren't showing the "small" machine everything you just
built for it. You need to not only export /usr/src from the "big" machine,
but also export /usr/obj and mount both respectively on the "small"
machine. This would lead to the reason your tool-chain isn't being seen on
the "small" machine and why it then fails when you try to do an install
world.

If I'm wrong in any of these assumptions please give us explicit details
as to what you are mounting from where to where, what commands you are
tying and on what machine you are typing them.

--
Ryan Sommers
ryans_at_gamersimpact.com