Re: error while doing installworld

From: Warren Liddell <shinjii_at_virusinfo.rdksupportinc.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 02:02:23 +1000
> I suspect, from your earlier message, that your build environment,
> although non-standard isn't setup quite right. Are you mounting the
> /usr/src and /usr/ports over NFS? Where are you mounting them? What
> command are you using to build world?
>
> I frequently build with an NFS mounted /usr/src and /usr/ports. From your
> although might not be a problem, it might if your object directory is
> different and you aren't using it in all the commands.
>
> If the machine is too small to hold the src and ports trees, is it large
> enough to hold /usr/obj?
>
> I would suggest the following. On your 'big' host, export a directory to
> use as /usr/ports, another as /usr/src, and if needed another as /usr/obj.
> On the 'small' host, NFS mount those directories to /usr/src, /usr/ports
> and /usr/obj. Then you can build and install just as if they weren't NFS
> mounted, which makes it somewhat easier to not forget to set make
> variables. When you reboot though, you won't be able to do the
> 'installworld' from single user unless you bring up your networking
> components and NFS mounts first.

The small dive unable to hold a ports & src is able to hold its own /usr/obj
dir which it has in /usr/obj

The "Big" machine has the ports an src setup exactly like the "small" machine
does so when mounting it over nfs i have the option to do the buildworld on
the "Big" machine then do the installworld on the "small" machine.

My Big machine is somewhat setup in a similar way running 4.10-STABLE i
remotely mount the ports an src dir's and do the neccessary updates 1 a week
and it hasnt given me any hassles.

--
Yours Sincerely
Shinjii