RFC: automated way of removing old base system files (only for a recent 6-current!)

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 14:25:02 +0200
Hi,

attached is a Makefile which removes old bases system files (WARNINIG:
don't run this if you don't have a backup!).

To test it run:
	make -f Makefile.obsoletefiles delete-old
	make -f Makefile.obsoletefiles delete-old-libs

DO NOT USE THIS ON 5.x!

DO NOT USE IT ON A NOT SO RECENT 6-CURRENT (20041002 or later should be
safe)!

When you test it, you will be asked for each file if you want to remove
it (better safe than sorry). If you do this for e.g. a lot of jails (the
targets know how to deal with DESTDIR=/path/to/jail) and you're sure all
files can be removed, you can define BATCH_DELETE_OLD_FILES ("make -f
Makefile.obsoletefiles -DBATCH_DELETE_OLD_FILES delete-old"). Then you
will not be prompted for confirmation.

WARNING: I may have typos in there, or I added a wrong file by accident,
so look at each file and make sure it can be removed. If you trashed
your system by testing this, you will be on your own (but please tell me
about it, so I can fix the Makefile).

If you know about a file which needs to be removed, but isn't by this
Makefile, tell me about it please.

For those who look at the code: the dates don't seem to be correct,
further research needs to be done. But since the dates are not essential
for the main feature of the Makefile, I decided to provide the actual
snapshot for review. Corrections, hints, ideas and patches are welcome.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
              The best things in life are free, but the
                expensive ones are still worth a look.

http://www.Leidinger.net                       Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net