Re: Any chance to get my sound card to work ?

From: Ariff Abdullah <skywizard_at_time.net.my>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 00:57:35 +0800
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 22:30:00 +0800
David Xu <davidxu_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> Ariff Abdullah wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:38:22 +0800
> >David Xu <davidxu_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> >

> >>I have the sound card as the following mail said:
> >>http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=181707+0+/usr/local/
> >www/db/text/2003/freebsd-stable/20031214.freebsd-stable>
> >>But I didn't find that it works, I have loaded snd_es137x.ko:
> >>
> >>tiger# kldload snd_es137x.ko
> >>pcm0: <Creative SB AudioPCI CT4730> port
> >0xe400-0xe41f,0xe000-0xe03f>irq 17 at device 12.0 on pci0
> >>pcm0: <Creative EV1938 AC97 Codec>
> >>
> >>The driver seems identified the device, but no sound at all when I
> >>try to use it.
> >>

> >You may try this patch:
> >http://staff.mybsd.org.my/skywizard/FreeBSD/es137x.c.diff
> >
> >It's pathetic, ugly, but does it job to properly initialize mixer
> >on ev1938 chip. Perhaps somebody can really clean it up.
> >

> Cool! it works for me,  any chance to commit it ?

Glad to hear that. Now the problem is, the chipset seems *broken*
during mixer initialization through ac97 interface programming,
perhaps because how the driver was written, hence require some sort of
wacky monkey circus hack. I don't think it's worth commiting this ugly
workaround, unless we can come up with cleaner approach (complete
rewrite, or some sort of *patching* interface).

> I have checked mixer settings,  it does not work no matter you
> turn it or not. it seems the driver is wrongly programing the
> device, the device is not an emulated but a real hardware.
Agree.

--

Ariff Abdullah
MyBSD