Re: UPDATING readability

From: David Syphers <dsyphers_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 12:08:31 -0700
On Saturday 16 October 2004 01:53 am, Matteo Riondato wrote:
> Could we change an entry from:
>
> 20041007:
>         One of the syscalls the 1:1 threading library libthr uses has
>         changed, thus breaking ABI compatibility. Make sure you  rebuild
> this library with the kernel.
>
> to:
>
> 20041007:
>         One of the syscalls used by the 1:1 threading library libthr
>  has changed, thus breaking ABI compatibility. Make sure you  rebuild
> this library with the kernel.
>
> I think this will improve the readability and the comprension of the
> entry by the non-native english speakers.

I hate to be pedantic, but the original entry is preferable. In English it is
correct to avoid the passive voice when possible (though not nearly to the
extent that, say, French does). The active voice is quite appropriate here,
where the subject is clearly defined. Is there a particular reason why
non-native speakers would prefer the passive voice?

-David