Re: beta6/7 machine freeze

From: Volker <volker_at_vwsoft.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 03:42:11 +0200
Robert & list & RE,

sorry for delay. While I've done some hardware changes, I've been unable
to check the i4b corrections earlier.

I've cvsup'ed to RELENG_5 again, recompiled using INVARIANTS and WITNESS
enabled, setup ppp using i4b on the troubled machine and the machine
didn't die again. I've closed the connection and re-setup the ppp link
several times, also had a connection for more than two hours and the
machine is still alive.

 From my point of view it looks like i4b is now healthy again and your
patches made it.

I'm still using debug.mpsafenet=0 for the i4b code (may I remove it or
is it still required for i4b?).

Before your i4b changes the machine died in the middle or at the end of
a ppp connection. For me, this is a huge step forward (or backward into
stability).

Now while the machine is running stable (no lock ups, no panics) for
quite some days (the first time since BETA-4) I'm sure RELENG_5 made a
huge step into the 5-STABLE direction. Two weeks ago I really had
concerns for 5's stability but now I think 5.x will do a good job as 4.x
did it.

I think you guys really did a great job! :)

Will remove INVARIANTS and WITNESS now and enjoy the speed of a good OS.

Thanks,

Volker

--
GPG/PGP fingerprint:
FF93 13A1 2477 B631 E953 06DF 4C49 ADD9 E4BF 79B1