Re: network slowness/freez-up since update 10/11

From: John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j_at_resnet.uoregon.edu>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 01:06:58 -0700
Max Laier wrote this message on Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 19:42 +0200:
> Anyway, let's end this and get on to fixing it - shall we?

I didn't try those patches, but I think I found the problem.  I'm not
sure why it would effect us now, and not a long time ago, but it appears
that there was some optimization to drop back to processing only one
packet at a time (and possibly process other packets in an interrupt),
but something got broken...  I ended up just eliminating the drop back
to single packet delivery, and things over here seem to be doing well..

I've been running netperf's tcp stream for the last 20 minutes or so,
and ping's ar still in the sub 10ms range.. usually around 4ms..  and
most of the time I've been pushing around 11meg/sec to the machine
(which generates around 300k transmit)...

I'm now running transmits from the machine, but the performance isn't
as good as it should be..  I'm getting only about 10meg/sec right now..

attached is the patch...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579