Re: network slowness/freez-up since update 10/11

From: Max Laier <max_at_love2party.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 19:42:45 +0200
On Thursday 14 October 2004 22:31, Andrey Chernov wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 11:27:15AM -0700, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> > > similar others, nothing brings special attention to be aware of. I'll
> > > expect special 'WARNING: de owners' message to current in such
> > > situations, i.e. if something is not fixed to work together.
> >
> > I think your expectations of support are unrealistic here.
> > FreeBSD is a largely unfunded volunteer open source project.
> > de(4) has no official maintainer(s).  Patches are welcome.
> >
> > On the other hand, if you want a commercial level of support, consider
> > paying for it.
>
> All this suggestions really surprise me. Patches? Pay? Another one was to
> buy different card, from somebody other...
>
> I know myself well how to _handle_ it now, please don't try to suggest. My
> problem was that REASON of hang was UNCLEAR for me for two months.
>
> People, I not expecting that you'll fix this if_de and not even demand it
> in any form! If you actually read what I write I expect only 'WARNING'
> mail to current_at_ list in case some dangerous commits made. What is
> unrealistic in this expecation?

Such as:
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-current/2004-March/024239.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-current/2004-July/031839.html

Anyway, let's end this and get on to fixing it - shall we?

Could reporters please try to backout the ALTQ patches:
 http://people.freebsd.org/~mlaier/if_de.c.backout.diff
or check if reducing the driver managed queue length allready helps:
 http://people.freebsd.org/~mlaier/if_de.c.drvlen.diff

Please tell me if it helps. TIA.

--
/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier_at_freebsd.org
 X   http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/  | mlaier_at_EFnet