Re: re0 fix that works with polling

From: John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j_at_resnet.uoregon.edu>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 16:28:27 -0700
Sean McNeil wrote this message on Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 20:14 -0700:
> The following changes allows me to stream a 15Mbps video content with
> re0 and not lose any packets.  I had to decrease the timer count so it
> checks more often and I modified it so that polling disables all but the
> timer interrupt.  Attached is a patch to -current.

Ok, interesting...  now are you sure that adding re_txeof in re_start is
better than properly fixing it so that we can make use of the extra tx
descriptors that the 8169 supports?  Right now it is hardcoded to 64
because that is all that the 8110 supports iirc, but the 8164 supports
upto 1024 tx descriptors...

I have thought about properly extracting the rings so that we can have
different sized tx and rx ring sizes also adjust ring size based upon
data rate...

Also, do you know of the tx timer changes fire rate dependant upon the
speed of the link..  the 8169 data sheet gives no specifics on what the
rate of the time is and approrpriate values..

I'll do some tests shortly to see about these issues...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579