Re: re0 fix that works with polling

From: Sean McNeil <sean_at_mcneil.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 14:31:08 -0700
Hi John-Marc,

On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 18:12, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> John-Mark Gurney wrote this message on Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 16:28 -0700:
> > I'll do some tests shortly to see about these issues...
>
> Ok, I played around w/ rwatson's netsend program, and I was able to
> send 1316 byte payload udp packets at about 28kpps w/o problems.. I
> was not able to confirm that no packets were loss, BUT, netstat did
> show very close to 28kpps received...  At 28kpps, it's far exceeds
> your problem of 15Mbps, it is about 38megbytes/sec..

I looked at and read netsend/netreceive.  Is this what you are using?
If so, how do you know that there is no packet loss?  netreceive does no
checking to make sure of anything.  It is just a sink that throws away
the packets.  You need to look at the actual data that is being
delivered.  You will find that 20% of those packets that are suppose to
have been sent are just thrown away without any error indication of any
sort.  netstat -i will show no errors yet the packets are gone if you
look for them on the other side.  So netsend is telling you it sends
them at 38megbytes/sec but out the wire the driver is only sending 80%
of the packets it should.

Cheers,
Sean