Re: [Fwd: What do people think about not installing a stripped /kernel ?]

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:58:39 -0600 (MDT)
In message: <20041020154545.GA15763_at_orion.daedalusnetworks.priv>
            Giorgos Keramidas <keramida_at_freebsd.org> writes:

: That's not just cheap.  It's dirt cheap, if you ask me.  Bearing
: this in mind, saving a little space in /boot/kernel is hardly worth
: the effort and the trouble one has to go through in order to locate
: or compile a debugging kernel when a bug creeps up.

But the time it takes me to resize / to accomidate the larger
requirements of the kernel will easily swamp the cost of the disk.  It
usually takes me about 3 hours to do the conversion if all goes well,
10 or more if something bad happens during it.  This can easily add up
to hundreds or thousands of dollars depending on who has to sit around
waiting.

But that's why it has to be a knob to turn it off: Sometimes the dirt
cheap analysis that you sight is wrong.

Warner