Re: [Fwd: What do people think about not installing a stripped,/kernel ?]

From: Volker <volker_at_vwsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 07:28:18 +0200
Maxim + all,

> I think that this is good idea which can be adapted for our 6-CURRENT as
> well. Disk space is so damn cheap today....
>
> -Maxim

<2ct>
well, that's the same as the M$ people thought ten years back. "Size &
price doesn't matter, so let's waste every Meg we could find."

Doing it that way in every corner, you'll have a system which requires
plenty of Gigs to install in a few years. A debug kernel by default
would just be the beginning of a systematic waste.

Why do you love BSD? Because it's different? Well, I love my beasty
because it installs and runs in small to large size systems. And I love
it because it's fast. If you blow up everything, your beasty will get
slow, fat and ugly.

Personally I would not care about a debugging kernel on my disk but the
way poeple think (size doesn't matter, price doesn't matter) it's the
very first step into the direction of blowing up everything - because
size doesn't matter.

Intel & Co will welcome you very friendly because going that way you'll
always need the latest computer systems to run your beasty.
</2ct>

Volker

--
GPG/PGP fingerprint:
FF93 13A1 2477 B631 E953 06DF 4C49 ADD9 E4BF 79B1