Re: [Fwd: What do people think about not installing a stripped,/kernel ?]

From: Rob <spamrefuse_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:26:18 +0900
Volker wrote:
> Maxim + all,
>

>> I think that this is good idea which can be adapted for our 6-CURRENT
>> as well. Disk space is so damn cheap today....
>>
>> -Maxim
>>

> <2ct>
> well, that's the same as the M$ people thought ten years back. "Size &
> price doesn't matter, so let's waste every Meg we could find."
>
> Doing it that way in every corner, you'll have a system which requires
> plenty of Gigs to install in a few years. A debug kernel by default
> would just be the beginning of a systematic waste.
>
> Why do you love BSD? Because it's different? Well, I love my beasty
> because it installs and runs in small to large size systems. And I love
> it because it's fast. If you blow up everything, your beasty will get
> slow, fat and ugly.
>
> Personally I would not care about a debugging kernel on my disk but the
> way poeple think (size doesn't matter, price doesn't matter) it's the
> very first step into the direction of blowing up everything - because
> size doesn't matter.
>
> Intel & Co will welcome you very friendly because going that way you'll
> always need the latest computer systems to run your beasty.
> </2ct>

I have two Pentium1 PCs happily running 4-Stable.
I also hope my two little Pentium1 PCs, with small harddisks and minimal
RAM will be able to cope with future designs of FreeBSD. It's the beauty
of having a state-of-the-art OS on such an old system, whereas for my M$
companions the PCs barely can run Windows 98 !!

R.